Sunday, November 21, 2021

GPS...

I got lost less than a mile away from my house the other day. GPS and all, I drove the same loop twice before I realized where I was. Lost--four little letters that seem surreal to me at times yet for about twenty minutes last Thursday, that’s exactly what I was; well off my plan A.

The last few months have been a blur and if this year has proven anything, it’s that plans can change on a dime.
I started laughing at myself when I realized where I was. Then I realized that if I would have just trusted my gut, I would’ve made the correct turn the first time. The rest of the short drive home I thought about the notion of trusting my gut juxtaposed with that of trusting the GPS. The notion that GPS is programmed by someone sitting in front of a computer interpreting points on a map that may well not be exactly where I’m located isn’t lost on me. Areas change and maps fall out of date but we see things in real time. GPS doesn’t know that you don’t always like to take the highway. Sometimes the backroads are where you find the good stuff. GPS doesn’t realize that you don’t always want to cut through neighborhoods to save five minutes.
Like it or not, sometimes we find ourselves smack dab in the middle of plan B and you know what? That’s not always a bad thing. Last week plan B took me to a new smoothie place that just so happens to carry my favorite protein powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment