Friday, October 16, 2020

Back Home Again...


The kiddo is flying back to Indiana today from a quick visit and the pang in my heart is overwhelming. This kid makes everything better when he’s in the room and I miss him fiercely. I’d planned for a sixty-four mile distance between us and ended up with five hundred and thirty six. I don’t love math but even I know that’s quite a difference.

If I were an hour away instead of ten, I know there’d be the occasional dinner in the middle of the week, drop-ins to the house for whatever once in a while, weekend visits to see the puppies now and then, and meet-ups halfway in between for coffee on the tough days.

Instead we have airline reservations, drawn out goodbyes where I try not to cry and he smiles and waits patiently for me to steal just one more hug, triple checks that he hasn’t forgotten anything since he won't be back for months at a time, wishes that we’d added another day to his stay, and drives to the airport that go way too quickly although traffic is often stopped.
I’m always surprised that while thirty-one years separate us, when we share the stories of our days in the life with one another, his perspective regarding whatever is going on--with himself or his friends, with me, his dad, our families, the world… All I can say is that he never ceases to amaze me and he teaches me something every time we’re together.
This kid is the absolute best part of us. The smartest, funniest, truest version of us and I adore him.
I’ll survive these next few months watching him grow and flourish, cheering from the sidelines because that’s the job. And I’ll continue to try to live my best life when we can’t be together, because that’s also part of the job. But I make no promise about counting down the days until we can be together again. #HomeIsWhereTheMomIs #buehlerlife

No comments:

Post a Comment