Sunday, August 16, 2020

Where is the coffee?


It dawns on me that there are things that happen when you’re working the college mom gig that don’t happen in the empty nest. Like when you have to order coffee at a restaurant for breakfast. Why? Because college kids living on Starbucks don’t typically have coffee pots so you don’t get to enjoy that first cup while you’re getting ready for the day. Gasoline? I can’t tell you the last time I got down to one bar because in my empty nest Atlanta existence, I never let it get one bar low, let alone end up with just one bar to go. A dirty car? In the empty nest my car is washed every week. At present, my ride is so filthy from driving 10+ hours to get to my child, and 10+ hours more running all over town trying to find what he needs for this move, that I’m naming the bugs on the windshield and I’m about to write “Joy” in the dust on the dash and call it progress. Matching bedding? Ha! Last night I slept on the kiddo’s couch with a duvet serving as both a bottom sheet and a blanket. To top it off, I pulled one of his clean T-shirts over a couch pillow and called it even. When the kiddo asked what I was doing, I just laughed because honestly, I was too tired to explain. Lists? I have at least five open on my phone at present instead of the nicely manicured master one I keep in the empty nest. And schedules? Right! We’re eating lunch most days at two and we GrubHubbed Taco Bell last night at eleven. Time management is a myth at this point. So yeah, the college mom gig is crazy but I can’t lie - I love it! That said, I do wish I would’ve brought my own pillow because I’m not 100% certain where this one’s been. #BuehlerLife

No comments:

Post a Comment